Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Childhood Memories

          

I've been listening to a lot of Simon & Garfunkel this past week and I think I've mentioned it before: I'm one of this people who connects music to memories. Or memories to music. Doesn't matter, I think you'll understand what I'm trying to say...

In the case of Simon & Garfunkel it reminded me of our summers as children in Istanbul, Turkey. I guess my parents went through a Simon & Garfunkel phase and were listening to it a lot, especially this song: El Conor Pasa. I love it!

It reminds me of the long, hot summers doing nothing. Days at the beach eating watermelon, the best peaches in the world, cherry cake and Coca Cola ice cubes, that my mom made. The little bread rolls we would get at a little store in Yesilyurt. The scent of black sesame and cumin. My grandmother and being allowed to eat cookies and drink Coca Cola for breakfast at her place. Her stories about her childhood in Italy. All good memories. But it also made me a little sad, reminding me of my dad, who passed away way too early.

I'm wondering what type of childhood memories my girls will have one day and if they will connect them to music as well. I hope they will be as wonderful as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment